Braces are strong appliances that finally give you the smile of your dreams, but there are times when the appliance might bug you with all of the poking, pushing, and pulling, which is why you’re reading this blog, right? Well, we are happy to give you hope by telling you that you can complete your orthodontic treatment faster than expected! Here are some tips to help you do so:
• Keep your braces and oral cavity clean: If you keep your mouth clean, your teeth are able to move into their correct positions faster. So, do your best to brush your teeth every morning and every night as well as after each meal, floss as often as possible, and rinse your mouth daily with mouthwash. If you need tips on how to properly do so, please feel free to call our office today.
• Cut large, hard-to-eat foods into smaller pieces: It is best if you chop your solid foods into small pieces before you eat them. That way, your brackets and wires won’t break as you bite into them. The best foods to cut up are those like apples, raw veggies, pears, corn on the cob, hamburgers, etc.
• Don’t chew on non-edible objects: Many people have the habit of biting on pens, pencils, straws, and ice. If you have any or all of these habits, it is best to quit if you don’t want to prolong your treatment. These habits tend to damage the appliance, whichleads to more time spent at the orthodontic office.
• Don’t interrupt the treatment: Your braces are pushing and pulling on your teeth every minute of every day, but there are things you might do that actually throw the process off course, like biting your nails or playing with your elastics. So, if you wish to complete your treatment as quickly as possible, let the braces guide your teeth and kick these nervous habits.
• Refrain from eating foods that are bad for your braces: Foods and drinks like popcorn, nuts, gum, hard candy, sticky candy, soda, and cookies are very bad for your braces. Eating or drinking these things can damage your braces as well as cause tooth decay. If you want a speedy orthodontic treatment, we strongly recommend avoiding these products.
For more details about these tips, please feel free to call our office. Our friendly team is more than happy to help you do everything you can to achieve the best and fastest results possible!